The Scheme: Context
Following targeted support to UCML representative groups in the devolved regions/jurisdictions, UCML has made available small-scale grant funding to facilitate projects that support the languages mission and values of the organisation.
Indicative projects to be supported include:
- Support for research events/workshops that relate to languages, literature and area studies
- Support for pedagogy events/workshops that relate to languages, literature and area studies
- Support for work or publications that enables impact and public engagement promoting a Languages mission and values
- Support for events that promote and develop university-school partnership for languages
- Bursaries for PGR and Early Career Researchers to attend events that relate to Languages research and/or professional development as a Languages scholar
- Bursaries to support colleagues with childcare responsibilities to attend conferences or comparable events
The UCML small grants sub-group has further specified that bids requesting support for Open Access funding or fees/honorary for speakers at events are not considered to meet the terms of the scheme.
UCML will reserve £4,000 p.a to the scheme (September to September). It will accept bids of between £250.00 and £800.00. Matched funding from other sources is welcomed. Once the funding has been exhausted in a given cycle, no further funding will be made available in that year in order to ensure sustainability.
Colleagues at UCML member HEIs or UCML-affiliated organisations, including academic and professional services colleagues, researchers and postgraduate research and postgraduate taught students.
A rotating panel of 4 members of the UCML Executive Committee will assess and adjudicate on bids submitted. Decisions will be made on a quarterly basis (September, December, March, June) and formally announced at the two Executive Committee meetings in the year.
Criteria for Success
- That the project supports, develops and extends the Languages mission of UCML
- That the project is fully accessible and available to members of UCML and the broader academic community
- That the project advocates for an open and inclusive approach to Languages scholarship
- That recipients of bursaries and awards are committed to supporting the civic mission of the organisation and partnership working with other languages stakeholders
To apply, please send a completed application form, providing the following:
- Name/Institution/UCML Affiliate Organisation
- Funding project/activity (including substantiating documentation, such as conference/workshop programme, if appropriate)
- Date(s) of activity/event
- Fit with criteria for success
Applications are assessed quarterly, the dates for 2020-2021 are as follows:
- 18 September 2020
- 22 January 2021
- 23 April 2021
- 23 July 2021
Upon receipt of an award, successful awardees pledge to provide a short report (up to 300 words) and/or visual record for inclusion on the UCML website. They should include acknowledgement of UCML support on all outcomes and materials.
Outcomes and Reports of Successful Projects
- Round 4 2019-20: Outcomes
- Round 3 2019-20: Outcomes
- Round 2 2019-20: Outcomes
- Round 1 2019-20: Funded Project Reports
- Round 1 2019-20: Outcomes