The Scheme: Context
Following targeted support to UCML representative groups in the devolved regions/jurisdictions, UCML has made available small-scale grant funding to facilitate projects that support the languages mission and values of the organisation.
Indicative projects to be supported include:
- Support for research events/workshops that relate to languages, literature and area studies
- Support for pedagogy projects/events/workshops that relate to languages, literature and area studies
- Support for work or publications that enables impact and public engagement promoting a Languages mission and values
- Support for projects and events that promote and develop university-school partnership for languages
- Bursaries to support colleagues with childcare responsibilities to attend conferences or comparable events
We are particularly keen to support:
- Projects and events that relate to Languages research and/or professional development as a Languages scholar, and that include provision of bursaries for PGR and Early Career Academics to participate
- Projects that make the most of digital opportunities and advance the digital agenda
- Projects and events that promote widening participation across Languages
- Project and events that aim at strengthening global collaborations and fostering a more diverse and inclusive context in research and teaching
Please note that bids requesting support to cover Open Access funding costs or to pay fees/honorary for speakers at events are not considered to meet the terms of the scheme.
We will not discount applications requesting costs for speaker/participant travel and/or accommodation, but these costs must be carefully justified within the context of the proposed project.
UCML will reserve £4,000 p.a to the scheme (September to September). It will accept bids of between £250.00 and £800.00. Matched funding from other sources is welcomed. Once the funding has been exhausted in a given cycle, no further funding will be made available in that year in order to ensure sustainability.
Colleagues at UCML member HEIs or UCML-affiliated organisations, including academic and professional services colleagues, researchers and postgraduate research and postgraduate taught students.
A rotating panel of 4 members of the UCML Executive Committee will assess and adjudicate on bids submitted. Decisions will be made on a quarterly basis (October, February, May, August) and formally announced at the two Executive Committee meetings in the year.
Criteria for Success
- That the project supports, develops and extends the Languages mission of UCML
- That the project is fully accessible and available to members of UCML and the broader academic community
- That the project advocates for an open and inclusive approach to Languages scholarship
- That recipients of bursaries and awards are committed to supporting the civic mission of the organisation and partnership working with other languages stakeholders
To apply, please send a completed application form, providing the following:
- Name/Institution/UCML Affiliate Organisation
- Funding project/activity (including substantiating documentation, such as conference/workshop programme, if appropriate)
- Date(s) of activity/event
- Fit with criteria for success
Applications are assessed quarterly, the dates for 2021-2022 are as follows:
- 17 September 2021
- 21 January 2022
- 29 April 2022
- 22 July 2022
Upon receipt of an award, successful awardees pledge to provide a short report (up to 300 words) and/or visual record for inclusion on the UCML website. They should include acknowledgement of UCML support on all outcomes and materials.
Outcomes and Reports of Successful Projects
- Small Grants 2020-21: Funded Project Reports
- Round 4 2020-21: Outcomes
- Round 3 2020-21: Outcomes
- Round 2 2020-21: Outcomes
- Small Grants 2019-20: Funded Project Reports
- Round 4 2019-20: Outcomes
- Round 3 2019-20: Outcomes
- Round 2 2019-20: Outcomes
- Round 1 2019-20: Outcomes