Become a member
If you wish for your organisation to join UCML please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org There are three different modes of membership:
1. Membership for UK HEIs (Modern Languages Departments)
Membership for UK Higher Education Institutions costs £200 per annum.
UCML is willing to flexibly review, on a case-by-case basis, situations where the full cost of subscription would prohibit institutional UCML membership. To confidentially discuss your institution joining/re-joining UCML or adjusting their UCML membership, please contact the Hon. Treasurer, Marián Arribas-Tomé, on email@example.com.
2. Membership for UK HEIs (IWLP/Language Centre only)
Membership for UK HEIs where language provision is delivered only by an Institution-Wide Language Programme or a Language Centre (i.e. where there is no modern languages degree programme) costs £50 per annum.
3. Associate membership
This costs £100 per annum. Associate membership is open to universities in other countries and other organisations and associations who wish to affiliate themselves to UCML.
4. UK Subject Associations Membership
Subject Association Membership costs £100 per annum.
Subject associations based in the UK are invited to liaise through the relevant member of the Executive Committee, to ensure that their interests are represented by UCML in its lobbying activities and in the planning and content of plenary meetings and workshops. Executive Committee members are listed in the About Us section of this site. Please also visit the list of member Subject Associations with links to their websites.
Details and benefits of membership
- Collects and disseminates information about the state of study, research, and teaching of modern languages and cognate disciplines in UK HEIs
- Provides a forum for debate on issues of concern to its members through meetings, working groups, discussions, conferences, seminars and publications;
- Presents the case for languages in the media
- Supports the promotion of and recruitment into HEI language study, in particular overseeing the development of the Routes into Languages programme, currently active across Wales and England
As members, Universities and UK Subject Associations are:
- Invited to liaise through the relevant member of the Executive Committee, to ensure that their interests are represented by UCML in its lobbying activities and in the planning and content of plenary meetings and workshops.
- Invited to attend two plenary meetings per annum which are usually held in London in January and July each year.
- Invited to attend workshops organised by UCML
- Invited, where relevant, to contribute to our Special Interest Groups on Early Career Academics and the Year Abroad
- Invited to apply for small-scale grant funding to facilitate projects that support the languages mission and values of UCML (such as research or pedagogy events that relate to languages, literature and area studies, public engagement and partnership with schools, and bursaries for PGR and Early Career Researchers to attend events that relate to Languages research or scholarship)